Monday 17 February 2014

Another beautiful Sunday!

Sunday was a most beautiful day. Another one of those 'bonus days' - sunny, warm and dry. It was a bit late by the time I arrived at Constance, then I could not find anywhere to park. Eventually I paid to park in the C&RT car park at Caen Hill and walked down to the bottom. By then it was 11:30. Was it too late to go up? The bottom few locks were set against me but there were several boats coming down, so the picture would improve. I decided that as it was such a lovely day it would be foolish not to go and with the pending closure for work it would mean I would be over-staying.
By 12:00 I was at the bottom lock on my way up. The café seemed to be such a long way away.
It was hard work but with the repetition you drop into a rhythm and the lock count gradually went up. By 14:50 I was looking at the café with the lock filled. I had made it solo in 2 hours 50 minutes!
The café at the top of the Caen Hill flight

Looking back down the hill
 The Caen Hill flight is due to close imminently for maintenance for a week or so. I am now above the flight and moving on.
Opposite the Black Horse
The mooring is good opposite the Black Horse. The solar panel can collect well as there are virtually no obstructions. I was tired but chuffed that I had been able to do the Caen Hill flight on my own. 20 locks and about one mile in four hours

No comments:

Post a Comment